So, I just learned my daughter's trip to her dentist, for the last 15 years, will not be reimbursed and we will foot the entire $215 bill. I have my annual visit coming up and it seems I'll have to come up with at least $231 to cover the cost, and that is if I change from the gynecologist I've seen for the last 20 years.
Top this with the fact that the premiums for Obamacare plans are on the rise... in a really big way.
I'm pissed! Not because I didn't know this was coming. I did. I'm pissed, because I was right and the politicians elected -- lied and played stupid. They insulted the intelligence and integrity of the citizens who placed their trust in them.
I support an expansion of insurance coverage, but tell me, up front, what it will mean... how much will it cost me... so I can prepare. Don't lie and tell me if "you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor".
Here is what I fear!
- Individuals and families at lower income levels will start to choose the penalty over plans on the Exchange , because of the cost of premiums and their co-pay
- Employers are going to start cutting back on full-time employees and have more part-time staff and adopt technology in place of people
- Employers, especially small, are going to start cutting back on subsidizing insurance plans for employees
- Individuals and families will start to make decisions to cut back on preventative care. This will mean the diagnosis of diabetes, cancer and heart disease will come later and actually cost everyone more to treat
- Healthcare costs will start to rise for all of the above reasons.
These are the unintended consequences of rogue politicians thinking they know what is best for healthcare. They are the unintended consequences of voters believing the lies of politicians and giving them a pass when they then play dumb.
They insult our intelligence, integrity and bully people into doing what they think is "right" without any effort to collaborate and work toward a common vision. Funny! Collaboration across the care team is expected and the US government is pushing for this. But, when it comes to collaborating on health policy, politicians are exempt.
So, here is the bottom line. If you voted for Obamacare and its politicians, you reap what you sow. If you didn't, I can only say, I'm sorry. What we have here is a lack of critical thinking by voters and a lack of transparency and integrity by the politicians.
I'm spiritual, but even though from South Louisiana, not really that religious. This all reminds me of a song, Jesus, Take the Wheel. More than ever, I think we need some Devine intervention.