A few weeks ago I was asked by SearchHealthIT to contribute some tips and I chose to focus in on leveraging portal technologies and recognizing some of the more subtle risks. Links to both articles are below, but I'm also including some of the highlights here for those who ask for "Just the facts, Ma'am."
- When patients and their family caregivers are not in front of providers (approximately 95% of the time)
- Platform for the integration of disparate patient/consumer-facing information systems
- Scale to accommodate management of condition-specific or general populations
- Personalize access to health records, education, self-management tools, social networking and support opportunities
- Support more transparent communication with patients and families about care transition and treatment processes.
- Creating barriers to patient and family engagement
- Lacking identification and assigned roles
- Tagging sensitive data as "do not disclose"
If you can think of anything to add to either list, please leave your comment.