Think of the nine characteristics of engagement systems described in this article along with health information technology. Moving from Transaction to Engagement - R “Ray” Wang - Harvard Business Review.
1. Design for sense and response.
2. Address massive social scale.
3. Foster conversation.
4. Utilize a multitude of media styles for user experience.
5. Deliver speed in real time.
6. Reach to multi-channel networks.
7. Factor in new types of information management.
8. Apply a richer social orientation.
9. Rely on smarter intelligence.
I've spoken about how I see social media technologies being integrated into EHRs; especially to address some of the meaningful use criteria. So it should be no surprise that I agree with Professor Wang that experiential and personal fulfillment systems will power the next waves of innovation.